Our Corporate and M&A Practice
Arthur Cox has the leading practice in Ireland in corporate law, mergers and acquisitions and corporate finance. Our general corporate and commercial experience in Ireland is unsurpassed and our Corporate and M&A Group is a dynamic player in Irish business. It is the largest Group in the firm and, combined with the strength and depth of the firm’s specialist departments, the Corporate and M&A Group advises on highly complex and innovative transactions. We have been, and continue to be, involved in most large Irish M&A transactions and most of the major flotations of Irish companies.
We have also advised on a large number of complex private equity transactions, acting for Irish and international equity sponsors, lenders, companies raising capital and management teams.
Arthur Cox undertook over 40 transactions for the Irish State in the restructuring of the distressed banking sector from 2008 to 2015 with an aggregate value of over €140 billion.
Constant innovation allows us to service our clients in the best possible way – we pride ourselves on being the first to devise and implement new structures for Irish companies. We advised on:
- the first US/EU-listed Irish company (Linde plc)
- the first UK inversion to Ireland (Experian)
- the first US publicly traded company moving to Ireland (Covidien)
- the first cross border merger involving an Irish company (the merger of Sachsen LB Europe plc in Ireland into a member of the Landesbank Baden-Wurttemberg group in Germany)
- the first migration to Ireland using a Societas Europaea (James Hardie Industries)
- the first inversion by way of merger to Ireland (Alkermes)
- the first inversion to Ireland by way of merger not involving an Irish target (Paladin Labs – Endo Health Solutions)
- the first inversion from Switzerland to Ireland (Pentair)
- the first unilateral offer using shares as consideration (Mylan’s bid for Perrigo)
- the only two accelerated share repurchases carried out by Irish incorporated public companies to date (James Hardie Industries and Allergan).
“Arthur Cox are trusted advisors. They understand and are committed to our organisational needs. They consistently display the ability to distill complex legal issues, assess risk and provide commercial advice. They never fail to deliver what we need and in the time frame that we need it.”
– IFLR 1000, 2019 edition
The Corporate and M&A Group handles a wide range of matters, including:
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Equity Capital Markets
- Inversions, Corporate Migrations and Demergers/Spin-Offs
- Reorganisations, Restructurings and Privatisations
- Private Equity, Venture Capital and Loan Sales
- Joint Ventures and Partnerships
- Commercial Contracts and Agreements
- Company Law, Corporate Governance and Continuing Obligations
Arthur Cox Dawn Raid Response Unit
The regulation of business is growing internationally with the aim of ensuring the protection of consumers’ interests and a level playing field for businesses. However, the enforcement of regulation also brings challenges for businesses. Unannounced inspections, also known as “dawn raids”, are an important enforcement tool at the disposal of regulators, but can cause significant disruption to businesses. Understanding the purpose of unannounced inspections, how they are conducted and the extent of your rights and obligations during an inspection will help you better manage inspections and ensure your interests are protected. Learn more about the Dawn Raid Response Unit here.