Our Corporate Practice
Arthur Cox has the leading practice in Ireland in corporate law, mergers and acquisitions and corporate finance. Our general corporate and commercial experience in Ireland is unsurpassed and our Corporate Group is a dynamic player in Irish business. It is the largest Group in the firm and, combined with the strength and depth of the firm’s specialist departments, the Corporate Group advises on highly complex and innovative transactions. We have been, and continue to be, involved in most large Irish M&A transactions and most of the major flotations of Irish companies.
We have also advised on a large number of complex private equity transactions, acting for Irish and international equity sponsors, lenders, companies raising capital and management teams.
Arthur Cox undertook over 40 transactions for the Irish State in the restructuring of the distressed banking sector from 2008 to 2015 with an aggregate value of over €140 billion.
Constant innovation allows us to service our clients in the best possible way – we pride ourselves on being the first to devise and implement new structures for Irish companies. We advised on:
- the first UK inversion to Ireland (Experian)
- the first US publicly traded company moving to Ireland (Covidien)
- the first cross border merger involving an Irish company (the merger of Sachsen LB Europe plc in Ireland into a member of the Landesbank Baden-Wurttemberg group in Germany)
- the first migration to Ireland using a Societas Europaea (James Hardie Industries)
- the first inversion by way of merger to Ireland (Alkermes)
- the first inversion to Ireland by way of merger not involving an Irish target (Paladin Labs – Endo Health Solutions)
- the first inversion from Switzerland to Ireland (Pentair)
- the first unilateral offer using shares as consideration (Mylan’s bid for Perrigo)
- the only two accelerated share repurchases carried out by Irish incorporated public companies to date (James Hardie Industries and Allergan).
Arthur Cox’s corporate team is valued for its pragmatic and consummate advice. “They focus on the commercial outcome as opposed to the strict legal position and while they may advise that a particular course of action is not possible, they rarely do so without offering alternatives on how you might achieve your objectives,” explains one client. Comparing the firm with several others in the M&A top tier, another remarks: “Most large law firms provide good legal advice, however, sound commercial guidance is not always as readily available and this is the difference between this and the other firms as far as I’m concerned.”
– IFLR 1000, Financial and Corporate 2015
The Corporate Group handles a wide range of matters, including:
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Equity Capital Markets
- Inversions, Corporate Migrations and Demergers/Spin-Offs
- Reorganisations, Restructurings and Privatisations
- Private Equity, Venture Capital and Loan Sales
- Joint Ventures and Partnerships
- Commercial Contracts and Agreements
- Company Law, Corporate Governance and Continuing Obligations