Cian is a partner and Head of the Corporate and M&A Group. Cian specialises in mergers and acquisitions, advising on public and private transactions as well as corporate finance and equity capital markets transactions.
Cian has experience advising on domestic and cross border transactions in a number of industries including the pharma/healthcare, financial services, energy and technology sectors as well as advising on corporate migrations, holding company structures, schemes of arrangement and cross border mergers. Cian has extensive experience in public M&A and has advised international clients and boards of directors on investing in Ireland and Irish based acquisitions including advising on some of the largest and most high profile public transactions in Irish corporate history. Prior to joining Arthur Cox Cian was a partner in another leading Irish law firm and spent a number of years based in London and New York.
- Advising Aon plc on its pending $80 billion all-share combination with Willis Towers Watson plc
- Advising Allergan plc on its $63 billion merger with AbbVie
- Advising Mediahuis NV on its €145.6 million takeover of Independent News & Media plc
- Advising Aryzta A.G. on its €800 million underwritten rights issue and the resulting admission of shares on the SIX Swiss Exchange and Euronext Dublin
- Advising Praxair, Inc. on its $70 billion merger of equals with Linde A.G. and the admission of Linde plc to the NYSE and the main market in Frankfurt
- Advising Greencore Group plc on its sale of Greencore US for $1,075 million and related £509 million share repurchase/tender offer
- Advising Medtronic plc on its acquisition of Irish medtech firm Crospon Limited
- Advising Allied Irish Banks, p.l.c. on its investment in Irish fintech firm TransferMate Limited
- Advising Greencore Group plc on its $747.5 million acquisition of Peacock Foods and related £440 million rights issue
- BA (Mod) Business and Economics, 1996, Trinity College Dublin
- Admitted as a Solicitor in Ireland 2001
- Member of International Bar Association
- Member of American Bar Association
“Cian McCourt exemplifies what a relationship partner should be. In addition to being highly attuned and responsive to the substantive legal issues we are facing, he invests significant time in understanding our business and anticipated legal and business needs.”
IFLR 1000: The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms, 2019
Cian McCourt is “nice to work with”.
Chambers Global: Europe’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2019
Cian McCourt is “very good at US inversions.”
Chambers Global: Europe’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2017