John is a corporate partner and is Head of International at the firm. He specialises in corporate law and has a broad corporate and commercial practice including advising upon domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, venture capital and private equity transactions.
John also deals with corporate reorganisations and migrations, loan portfolio acquisitions and sales, fundraisings, corporate governance and commercial advisory work and commercial contracts, both for Irish and particularly for international clients. He also deals extensively with overseas clients and counsel on the establishment of business operations in Ireland both by acquisition and initial establishment. He has particular experience and expertise in transactions and advisory work in the technology, energy and insurance and financial services sectors. John has headed up both our London and New York offices, heads up one of the firm’s M&A teams and has served on the firm’s Management Committee.
- Acting for Brewin Dolphin on its proposed acquisition of Investec Ireland’s wealth management business
- Acting for Epiris funds on its take private acquisition of IFG Group plc
- Acting for Orbcomm Inc. on the acquisition of Blue Tree Systems
- Acting for Lufthansa in respect of various corporate transactions
- Acting for LSG Sky Chefs on the acquisition of the Retail in Motion group
- Acting for Centrica Plc on the acquisition of Bord Gáis Energy
- Acting for Bain Capital on the acquisition of certain loan portfolio assets
- Acting for Blackstone on the acquisition of certain loan portfolio assets
- Acting for a number of other leading US private equity houses with respect to the acquisition of certain Irish loan portfolio and other assets
- Acting for KBC Bank on the sale of its Irish asset management business to Kleinwort Benson and other corporate and loan portfolio transactions
- HDBS, 1993, Smurfit Graduate School of Business, University College, Dublin
- BCL, 1992, University College, Cork
- Admitted to the New York Bar, 1999
- Admitted as a solicitor in England and Wales (non-practising), 1998
- Admitted as a solicitor in Ireland, 1996
- Member of the Bar Association of the City of New York
- Member of the International Bar Association
- Member of the New York Bar Association
- Member of the American Bar Association
- Member of the Irish Chamber of Commerce in the U.S.
- Member of the Board of Directors and Past Chairman of Lex Mundi
John is the best counsel with whom I have worked with at any firm. He is very knowledgeable and well connected, has a pleasant and calm demeanour and offers an unusually high work ethic that meets all our needs on time and on budget. He is top notch!
IFLR 1000: The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms, 2020
John Matson is a “star.”
The Legal 500: Europe, Middle East & Africa, 2019
John Matson is “extremely responsive, calm and measured. He gives practical, commercial advice and takes a very hands-on approach.”
Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2019
John Matson is “a super client relationship partner.”
The Legal 500: Europe, Middle East & Africa, 2018
John Matson has “rock-solid expertise, a calm and positive demeanour and an ability to quickly distil the primary issues requiring client attention.”
Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2018