Litigation, Dispute Resolution and Investigations
Our Litigation, Dispute Resolution and Investigations Group is the leading litigation practice in Ireland, and has particular expertise in complex, high-value cases heard in the Commercial List of the High Court. The Group undertakes work with a large international element, often involving cross-border disputes and jurisdictional issues.
We have extensive experience in assisting clients to prevent disputes before they occur, as well as advising on formal litigation proceedings. We also provide our clients and international law firms with expertise in all forms of alternative dispute resolution, including international and domestic arbitrations, mediations, conciliations and expert determinations.
Our client base consists of a wide range of domestic and multinational institutions in all sectors and includes:
- Irish and international corporations and organisations
- government entities and state bodies
- financial institutions and insurance companies
- professional organisations
- private individuals
Allied to the firm’s strength and expertise in the commercial and corporate spheres, we have wide-ranging experience in all types of commercial and corporate disputes, including those arising from commercial agreements and operations, the financial markets, mergers and acquisitions, share dealings and other corporate and banking transactions. We also handle all types of actions under the Companies Acts, ranging from shareholder and boardroom disputes to investigations and inquiries.
We have advised numerous clients in relation to statutory and non-statutory investigations and reviews and the application of natural justice and constitutional fair procedures.
We also have a dedicated unit to deal with discovery (including ediscovery) and data management, which has become a major aspect of litigation and disputes, in order to effectively manage the costs and client time involved.
- Acting for ABB Ltd in two separate sets of High Court follow-on cartel damages claims brought by ESB and Synergen Power Ltd against ABB Ltd and a number of other European electricity utility companies arising out of the European Commission’s infringement decision in relation to gas insulated switchgear
- Acting for Actavis plc in relation to a US$5.7 billion capital reduction pursuant to section 72 of the Companies Act 1972
- Acting for Banco Santander S.A. and Optimal Investment Services S.A. in the defence of proceedings issued in Ireland by SPV OSUS Ltd claiming circa US$3 billion arising from the fraud perpetrated by Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC
- Acting for BNY Mellon Investment Servicing (International) Ltd in the defence of claims of alleged breach of contract, negligence, breach of duty, wilful misfeasance, misrepresentation and negligent misstatement arising from its provision of fund administration and accounting services to a Cayman-registered and domiciled hedge fund
- Acting for Blackstone in the defence of proceedings taken by the O’Flynn Group following the acquisition by Blackstone of the O’Flynn Group’s loans from NAMA for €1.1 billion
- Acting for The Central Bank of Ireland in:
- obtaining a Transfer Order from the High Court pursuant to the Central Bank and Credit Institutions (Resolution) Act 2011 directing the transfer of the assets and liabilities of Killorglin Credit Union Limited to Tralee Credit Union Limited; and
- the defence of High Court proceedings brought by members of the Quinn family in relation to the Central Bank’s regulation of the banking industry in Ireland, and Anglo Irish Bank in particular, during the period 2007 to 2008