+353 1 920 1137
Ten Earlsfort Terrace
Keith specialises in complex commercial litigation, dispute resolution and investigations often with multinational aspects.
Keith has over twenty years’ experience of dealing with complex disputes across a range of areas including corporate and shareholder disputes, financial services litigation, as well as disputes in the aviation, energy, intellectual property, real estate and technology sectors. He also advises clients in regulatory investigations many of which involve significant reputational issues and potential precedent-setting impact and often result in follow-on litigation.
- Acting for the Irish State in the defence of litigation arising from the circa €3 billion recapitalisation of the Permanent TSB banking group.
- Acting for a fund service provider in its defence of various actions brought by creditors and liquidators of funds claiming in excess €800 million.
- Acting for a variety of clients in disputes relating to intellectual property including those relating to trade mark infringement and passing off.
- Acting for a number of airlines and aircraft leasing companies in international commercial disputes.
- Acting for various energy generators, suppliers and traders in commercial disputes and challenges to the Commission for the Regulation of Utilities.
- Acting for several private equity and institutional clients in commercial real estate disputes, including disputes relating to breaches of lease covenants, statutory tenancy claims and dilapidations.
- Acting for a large retail bank in various court actions.
- Advising a Big Four accounting firm on various disputes and risk issues.
- Advising various clients in investigations by the Central Bank of Ireland under both its administrative sanctions procedure and fitness and probity regime.
- Advising clients in inquiries by the Irish Data Protection Commission and follow-on litigation.
“Keith Smith – business acumen, direct access without delegation, subject matter expertise.”
The Legal 500, 2022
Keith Smith is “insightful and reassuring” during complex situations.”
Chambers Europe, 2022
“Keith Smith is a key strategic advisor. Pragmatic, commercial and pitches advice well to in-house teams. Does not over-complicate matters. Willing to make difficult calls. Available.”
The Legal 500: Europe, Middle East and Africa, 2021
Keith Smith “is strategic in his advice and certainly someone I would recommend for a tricky situation.”
Chambers Europe: Europe’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2021
Education & Qualifications
- LL.M, 1998, University College Dublin
- BCL, 1997, University College Cork
- Admitted as a solicitor in Ireland, 2002
- Member of Law Society of Ireland
- Member of the International Bar Association