Grainne practises in finance law with particular emphasis on real estate finance, construction finance, syndicate financing, leveraged financing, receivables financing and lending to QIAIFs, ICAVs and REITs.
Grainne advises financial institutions and borrowers on: syndicate finance; real estate finance (including student accommodation); construction finance; leveraged acquisition finance; working capital finance including invoice discount facilities and receivables and inventory financing; debt restructuring, including debt for equity swaps, warrant issues and debt write offs; financing to Qualifying Investor Alternative Investment Funds (QIAIFs); Irish Collective Asset-management Vehicles (ICAVs); Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) and Limited Partnerships; unitranche financing and mezzanine financing.
Grainne is ranked as a “Star Individual” by Chambers and Partners, the only Banking and Finance lawyer in Ireland with this ranking.
- Currently acting for syndicate lenders to a number of large Irish companies, including the Dawn Meats Group, the IPL Group, the Dairygold Group, the BWG Group and the Bon Secours hospital group
- Advised Greencore Group plc on its syndicated facilities
- Advised Kennedy Wilson on a loan portfolio purchase from NAMA
- Advised Kennedy Wilson on the financing of the Capital Dock project in Dublin
- Advised Quadrant Real Estate Advisors on the financing of a number of construction projects in Dublin
- Advised Ulster Bank on the financing of a portfolio of 30 residential investment properties in Dublin
- Advised Kennedy Wilson on the financing of the Grange residential investment property in Dublin and the Elysian residential investment property in Cork
- Advising Wells Fargo on the financing of the development of the Cherrywood Business Park
- Advising Wells Fargo and Bank of Ireland on the financing of a number of student accommodation projects
- Advising Bank of Ireland on the financing of the construction of houses and apartments on a number of sites in Dublin, Wicklow and Galway
- BCL, 1986, University College Cork
- LL B, 1987, University College Cork
- Admitted as a solicitor in Ireland, 1990
Grainne Hennessy is “very knowledgeable, experienced and direct. She can tailor her style depending on who she’s sitting across from.”
Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2019
Grainne Hennessy is “acknowledged in the Irish market as the foremost lawyer in her field. She excels in the most complex transactions and always makes it feel that ours is the only transaction she is working on. She is constantly responsive and always makes herself available in person.”
Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2018
Grainne Hennessy is “the best lawyer in the country. If you have a tough deal to do, she is the woman to have in your corner. When you are in a difficult negotiation the cards are stacked in your favour as you have the best in your corner.”
Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2017
Grainne Hennessy is “formidable and first-class [who has] super knowledge of banking law. She is capable of running multi-stream projects, with a fantastic ability to get the job done.”
Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2016