Banking and Finance
Our Banking and Finance Group is consistently involved in executing the most innovative transactions. We act for financial institutions, institutional investors, alternative lenders and other market participants, both domestic and international, as well as for a wide range of borrowers, including investment grade and other corporates, and private banking clients.
We offer experience in every area of finance, in every type of market and across all asset classes, from enforcement and workouts, to loan portfolio sales, to restructuring and insolvency, and ultimately to more normal market activity involving construction and property finance, acquisition finance, asset-backed lending, fund lending, structured finance and warehouse lending.
The Banking and Finance Group is an integral part of our Finance Department. The Finance Department at Arthur Cox is the largest of its kind in Ireland and is consistently at the forefront of developments in finance law and practice. Our practice revolves around four key areas, including asset management and investment funds, banking and finance, capital markets and financial regulation. We pride ourselves in offering clients an integrated approach across practice areas and we excel at advising on transactions which require advice in a number of areas of finance and other areas of law.
Our expertise includes:
- investment grade and leveraged financings, including senior and mezzanine facilities, both syndicated and bilateral
- project finance in various sectors, including the financing of Public Private Partnerships, construction projects and renewable energy projects
- lending to fund structures (including QIAIFs and ICAVs)
- acquisition financing
- property and development finance
- asset finance including aviation finance
- non-bank lending, including private placements
- purchase, sale and financing of all types of commercial and residential loan portfolios
- debt restructuring, settlements, work-outs and enforcements
- invoice discounting and other receivables financings and leasing facilities.
Finance: Monthly Horizon Scanner
Our Finance Group publishes a monthly horizon-scanner, covering topical Irish and EU legal and regulatory matters. Previous monthly editions can be accessed here.
- Advising The Strategic Banking Corporation of Ireland in relation to each of the Future Growth Scheme and the Brexit Loan Scheme (which involved European Investment Bank facilities). These Government schemes are one of the Irish Government’s responses to the challenges faced by businesses negatively impacted by Brexit.
- Advising Lloyds Banking Group on the sale of a performing mortgage loan portfolio, the largest portfolio trade in Ireland in 2018
- Advising an international lender in the provision of financing to an Irish social and housing association
- Advising lenders to Avolon Holdings Limited in relation to its $10.38 billion acquisition of CIT Groups aircraft leasing business
- Advising Activate Capital Limited on the provision of €500 million senior and mezzanine facilities to it by The Ireland Strategic Investment Fund and KKR Credit to fund Irish residential projects
- Advising BAML and JP Morgan as lead arrangers in relation to a financing for Adient plc
- Advising University College Dublin on development facilities for student accommodation provided by the Housing Finance Agency PLC
- Advising lenders in relation to the financing of the Morgan Hotel, the Citi Hotel, the Galmont Hotel, Dunboyne Castle, the Dylan Hotel, the Imperial Hotel (Cork) and Powerscourt Hotel