Our market-leading team advises on all aspects of administrative and statutory inquiries, including tribunals and commissions of inquiry. Our clients in this area include public and private companies, governmental departments and agencies, regulatory authorities and various public bodies.
Typical issues include ensuring fair procedures, complying with requests for documentation, preparing witness statements, appearing before inquiries to give oral evidence, and dealing with appeal or judicial review mechanisms.
- Representing the Child & Family Agency (Tusla) on the Tribunal of Inquiry into Protected Disclosures (The Charleton Tribunal). This very significant and well-publicised statutory inquiry included an investigation into disclosures and related matters made to An Garda Síochána (the national police force) and other state bodies under the Protected Disclosures Act 2014
- Representing a client on the ongoing Commission of Investigation into the Irish Bank Resolution Corporation (IBRC) that was established to investigate transactions entered into by IBRC between 21 January 2009 and 7 February 2013 during the financial crisis
- Advising various financial institutions on matters relating to the Parliamentary Committee of Inquiry into the Banking Crisis
- Advising the Garda Siochana Ombudsman Commission (national police regulator) on a high profile independent inquiry into reports of unlawful surveillance and hacking (Cooke Report) and a review of action taken by An Garda Síochána (the national police force) relating to certain allegations made by Sergeant Maurice McCabe (Guerin Report)
- Advising on State healthcare investigations including the Tribunal of Inquiry into the Infection with HIV and Hepatitis C of Persons with Haemophilia and Related Matters (Lindsay Tribunal), the Post Mortem Organ Retention Inquiry (the Madden Report), the Lourdes Hospital Inquiry into Peripartum Hysterectomies and the Commission of Investigation into the Death of Gary Douch in Mountjoy Prison
- Representing clients on other commissions including the Commission to Investigate in the Dublin Diocese, the Commission of Investigation into Mother and Baby Homes and the Commission to Inquire into Child Abuse (the Ryan Commission)
Our Full Team
“Arthur Cox’s ‘excellent‘ team has a strong reputation for handling complex,high-value, and often cross-border disputes, as well as acting in statutory and non-statutory investigations”.
LEGAL 500 EUROPE 2020
“Interviewee describes the team as “outstanding,” praising the lawyers’ “attention to detail and their thorough research.”
CHAMBERS EUROPE 2020