Deirdre is a partner in the Litigation, Dispute Resolution and Investigations Group. She specialises in investigations, commercial and regulatory disputes and corporate / white collar crime.
Deirdre advises a range of domestic and international clients on significant commercial and regulatory disputes, investigations (internal, regulatory, cross-border and criminal) and criminal prosecutions. Deirdre is a founding member of the Ireland Chapter of the Women’s White Collar Defence Association (WWCDA), the Irish representative member of the European Criminal Bar Association Anti-Corruption Europe (ACE) Working Group and Committee member of the Health and Safety Lawyers’ Association of Ireland. Deirdre co-authored the Ireland chapter of the White-Collar Crime Guide 2019 for Chambers and Partners and the ACE Country Report for Ireland on anti-bribery / corruption. Deirdre is also an accredited CEDR mediator.
Deirdre is named as an expert in the Euromoney Expert Guide (White Collar Crime) for 2020 and was awarded “Rising Star in Litigation” at the Women in Business Law Awards Europe 2020 which celebrate women lawyers across Europe who are leaders in their field.
- Advising financial institutions on enforcement investigations by the Central Bank of Ireland under its Administrative Sanctions Procedure relating to consumer mis-selling.
- Advising a financial institution on an enforcement investigation by the Central Bank of Ireland under its Administrative Sanctions Procedure relating to corporate governance and breaches of lending restrictions.
- Acting for the Central Bank of Ireland (legal division) in High Court proceedings relating to the liquidation of Custom House Capital (In Liquidation).
- Acting for the Central Bank of Ireland (enforcement division) in the successful defence of High Court proceedings challenging decisions to convene a Statutory Inquiry into the conduct of individuals working in a regulated firm and in the subsequent Statutory Inquiry.
- Advising on the establishment of a redress scheme by a regulated firm in the financial sector.
- Acting for a financial institution in the defence of High Court proceedings brought by almost 200 consumers for mis-selling and related claims.
- Acting in the defence of criminal prosecutions for companies in a range of sectors including financial services, construction, energy, pharmaceutical, waste and education: for Wayss & Freytag Ingenieurbau AG in the defence of criminal proceedings arising from the construction of the Corrib Gas pipeline; for a financial institution in the defence of a criminal prosecution arising from a third party contractor employee accident; for a State body in the defence of criminal proceedings arising from a fatal accident; for a multinational pharmaceutical company in the defence of a criminal prosecution relating to the treatment and shipment of waste; for a semi-State body in the defence of a criminal prosecution relating to the treatment and shipment of waste; for a third-level educational institution in a criminal investigation arising from a fatal accident; and for a multinational energy company in the defence of a criminal prosecution.
- Advising a range of domestic and international clients on anti-corruption rules and compliance and the investigation and reporting of corruption.
- LL B, 2004, University of Limerick
- LL M, 2006, NUIG / Queen’s University, Belfast
- Admitted as a Solicitor, 2009
- Accredited as CEDR Mediator, 2009
- Founding member, Ireland Chapter of the Women’s White Collar Defence Association (WWCDA)
- Irish representative member, ECBA Anti-Corruption Europe (ACE) Working Group
- Committee member, Health and Safety Lawyers’ Association of Ireland (HSLAI)