Fintan specialises in tax. He represents companies on the tax issues arising from transactions such as acquisitions, disposals, reorganisations, migrations, securitisations, IP on-shoring and financings.
Fintan advises multinationals, investment funds, banks and insurance companies in relation to insurance, financial and structured products. He navigates a path through tax disputes and tax litigation for clients. Previously, Fintan worked in a City of London law firm and a New York headquartered law firm.
- Advising Ingersoll Rand on the $15 billion combination of its industrial business with Gardner Denver, the first Reverse Morris Trust involving an Irish Company
- Advising Johnson Controls International on its $4 billion modified Dutch auction tender offer for its ordinary shares (the largest ever tender offer by an Irish company) following the completion of the sale of its Power Solutions business
- Advising Eaton Corporation on the spin-off of its Lighting Business
- Advising clients in contentious matters with Revenue in relation to VAT, corporation tax, capital gains tax and other taxes including in the High Court and the new Tax Appeals Commission
- EU risk retention compliant originator companies for Blackstone/GSO, Chenavari, Partners Group, Napier Park, H.I.G and others
- Advising Shire on the Irish aspects of its acquisition by Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited for $62 billion
- Advising Praxair, Inc. on its $73bn merger of equals with Linde A.G. under a new Irish holding company to be known as Linde plc.
- Advising CRH in relation to its share buyback on the London stock exchange
- Advising International Paper Company on its bid for Smurfit Kappa
- Advising Pentair plc. on the spinoff of nVent plc.
- Advising a number of clients on “on-shoring” their IP to Ireland and aligning it with DEMPE functions
- LL.B, 1994, Trinity College, Dublin
- Admitted as a solicitor in Ireland, 1997
- Member of the UK Chartered Institute of Taxation, 1999
- Law Society of England and Wales (non-practicing), 1998
- Irish Debt Securities Association, Member of Executive Council and Chair of Taxes Committee
- Irish Funds Industry Association, Member of Taxes Committee
Fintan Clancy “has a great reputation in the market and is absolutely top of his game.”
Chambers Europe: Europe’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2019
Fintan Clancy is a “very experienced and knowledgeable adviser.”
Chambers Europe: Europe’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2018
Fintan Clancy is noted for his ability to put “difficult concepts into words that are understandable.”
Chambers Europe: Europe’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2017
Fintan Clancy “provides succinct tax advice on corporate restructuring options.”
The Legal 500: Europe, Middle East & Africa, 2017