Arthur Cox Tax Group Update April 2022
The Arthur Cox Tax Group has been busy in recent months. Here are a few deals we have been working on and other news.
- Fintan Clancy and Caroline Devlin are once again ranked in Band 1 in Chambers Europe 2022.
- Ailish Finnerty is once again ranked in Band 2 in Chambers Europe 2022.
- Ailish Finnerty was recognised by MergerLinks as being in the top three Female M&A lawyers in EMEA for 2020.
- Fintan Clancy was recognised by MergerLinks as being in the top five Tax Lawyers in EMEA for 2020.
- David Kilty was recognised by Legal 500 as Next Generation Lawyer in 2021 and 2020.
- Fintan Clancy, David Kilty, Dearbhla Ní Fhloinn and Simona Prielaidaite advised Concord Acquisition Corp., a publicly traded special purpose acquisition company, on new transaction terms by which it will combine with Circle Internet Financial Limited, the principal operator of the USDC stablecoin, and take Circle public. Read more here.
- Ailish Finnerty and Elaine Mooney advised Brookfield Asset Management with Kirkland & Ellis on its recommended cash offer for Hibernia REIT plc. Read more here.
- Fintan Clancy and Nicola Cavey advised on the Strongbridge Biopharma acquisition by Xeris Pharmaceuticals Inc. Read more here.
- Ailish Finnerty, Elaine Mooney and Nicola Cavey advised Angel Pond Holdings Corporation, a NYSE-listed special purpose acquisition company, on its business combination with MariaDB Corporation Ab, one of the most popular open source database software companies in the world. Read more here.
- Ailish Finnerty, Orlaith Kane and Carl Grenville advised Dole plc on its IPO on NYSE to form the world’s largest fruit and vegetable supply business. Read more here.
- David Kilty and Dearbhla O’Gorman advised Global Shares plc on its acquisition by JP Morgan. Read more here.
- Caroline Devlin and Dearbhla O’Gorman advised Flutter Entertainment plc, the leading global sports betting and gaming group, on its acquisition of Sisal S.p.A from CVC Capital Partners Fund VI and on its agreement to sell Oddschecker Global Media to Bruin Capital. Read more here and here.
- Ailish Finnerty, Orlaith Kane and Nicola Cavey advised European Sustainable Growth Acquisition Corp on its business combination with ADS-TEC Energy GmbH, to take ADS-TEC public. Read more here.
- Ailish Finnerty, Dearbhla O’Gorman and Dearbhla Ní Fhloinn advised Viavi Solutions Ireland Limited (a subsidiary of Viavi Solutions, Inc. (Nasdaq: VIAV)) on its acquisition of Anuview Software Limited, a provider of cybersecurity and threat detection software. Read more here.
- Fintan Clancy and Cristina Susanu advised Digital 9 Infrastructure plc, on its agreement to acquire eir’s majority stake in Tetra Ireland (the exclusive operator of public safety wireless networks across Ireland). Read more here.
- Fintan Clancy and Carl Grenville advised ProAmpac, a Pritzker Private Capital company, on its acquisition of Euroflex Teoranta. Read more here.
- David Kilty and Orlaith Kane advised Ørsted, on its acquisition of a 100% equity interest in the Ireland and UK onshore wind business of Brookfield Renewable. Read more here.
- Ailish Finnerty and Dearbhla Ní Fhloinn advised EML Payments on its agreement to acquire Sentenial and its Open Banking brand Nuapay. Read more here.
- Fintan Clancy and Carl Grenville advised the shareholders of Strencom on its sale to Welltel. Read more here.
- Ailish Finnerty and Carl Grenville advised Cognizant on its acquisition of TQS Integration Limited. Read more here.
- Elaine Mooney advised Hg, a leading investor in software and services, on its investment in BrightPay and Relate Software. Read more here.
- Fintan Clancy and Dearbhla O’Gorman advised the shareholders of Linesight on the acquisition of Linesight by IPS-Integrated Project Services, LLC, a subsidiary of Alleghany Corporation. Read more here.
- Ailish Finnerty and Nicola Cavey advised mobile games developer Nordeus on its sale to Take Two Interactive Software, Inc. Read more here.
- Ailish Finnerty and Dearbhla O’Gorman advised UFP Technologies, Inc. on its acquisition of Advant Medical. Read more here.
Finance & Asset Management
- Fintan Clancy and Elaine Mooney supported Finance Ireland and M&G Investments in the launch of a new product by Finance Ireland which introduces long dated fixed rate mortgages with terms of up to 20 years to the market. Read more here.
- David Kilty advised Starwood Capital Group on a debt financing with Echelon Data Centres, an Irish owned company committed to delivering cleanly powered and sustainable large scale data centre assets. Read more here.
- Ailish Finnerty, Elaine Mooney and Nicola Cavey advised KBC on its planned withdrawal from the Irish banking market. Read more here.
- David Kilty advised on Permanent TSB’s acquisition of certain elements of the Ulster Bank business. Read more here.
- Fintan Clancy and Ciara Fagan advised Johnson Controls on the issuance of its first Sustainability-Linked Bond. Read more here.
- David Kilty and Nicola Cavey worked with responsAbility Investments AG to launch its latest innovative social bond. Read more here.
Corporate Advisory & Tax Disputes
The tax group has also been advising many of the leading Dublin and London listed Irish companies on their tax matters. These mandates can range from advising on intellectual property matters, to group restructurings and advising on proposals from other tax advisers. In addition we have been advising on domestic and international tax dispute resolution matters. We continue to advise clients on contentious tax matters at various stages from tax audits through the Tax Appeals Commission and to High Court proceedings.
The Tax Group is involved in the development of Irish tax policy and Ireland’s response to international tax reform. Acting on our own and also as part of various collective efforts, we have been involved in efforts to strengthen the Irish tax system and to make Ireland a leading jurisdiction for international business.
Fintan Clancy, Susan Lynch and other members of the tax team have led the firm’s submissions to the Irish Government and the European Commission providing feedback on various tax reforms including submissions to:
- The Department of Finance responding to the public consultation on a foreign dividend and branch profit exemption. Read more here.
- The Department of Finance regarding Ireland’s Implementation of the Interest Limitation Rule. Read more here.
- The Department of Finance in respect of the possible introduction of measures to prevent double non-taxation in relation to outbound payment of interest, royalties and dividends. Read more here.
- The Irish consultation on the OECD Tax Proposals. Read more here.
- The European Commission regarding their intention to introduce new measures to fight the use of shell entities and arrangements for tax purposes. Read more here.
- Ireland’s public consultation regarding the EU Directive on public country by country reporting of financial and tax information. Read more here.
Background on the Tax Group
The Arthur Cox tax group is one of the leading tax law practices in Ireland. We provide fully comprehensive and commercial tax advice to a broad range of domestic and international clients operating in all sectors of the Irish economy. We provide high value advice on important transactions and challenging situations.
Our team is an integrated part of the firm’s wider practice groups and clients but also provides stand-alone tax advice.
We have a highly experienced team made up of five Partners, a Tax Director, ten Associates and two to four Trainees.