Joanelle is a partner in the Litigation & Dispute Resolution Group. Her principal areas of practice are healthcare and childcare, investigations and inquiries, corporate and commercial litigation, cyber- security and litigation risk, and regulatory and compliance issues.
Healthcare and Childcare
Joanelle is the key client partner for a number of significant healthcare and pharmaceutical clients.
Joanelle advises on a range of issues including:
- policies, procedures, inquiries, investigations;
- ethical issues, including the right to die and conscientious objections;
- child protection issues;
- elder abuse and vulnerable adults;
- capacity and consent;
- transfer for treatment abroad;
- disclosure, privacy and confidentiality issues;
- general litigation/advisory issues; and
- product liability.
Investigations and Inquiries
Joanelle has advised clients in relation to many tribunals, inquiries and statutory schemes, including:
- the Independent Inquiry into Reports of Unlawful Surveillance of the Garda Síochána Ombudsman Commission (Cooke Report);
- the Tribunal of Inquiry into the Infection with HIV and Hepatitis C of Persons with Haemophilia and Related Matters (Lindsay Tribunal);
- the Dunne Post Mortem Organ Retention Inquiry;
- the Lourdes Hospital Inquiry into Peripartum Hysterectomies;
- the Commission to Investigate in the Dublin Diocese;
- the Commission to Inquire into Child Abuse;
- the Residential Institutions Redress Board
- the Review of action taken by An Garda Síochána relating to certain allegations made by Sergeant Maurice McCabe (Guerin Report);
- the Independent Review of Issues relating to Symphysiotomy by Judge Yvonne Murphy; and
- the Symphysiotomy Payment Scheme.
Joanelle advises numerous clients in relation to criminal investigations, regulatory inquiries and reporting obligations. The Arthur Cox Corporate Crime Group is listed as one of the top 100 firms for international investigations by the Global Investigations Review 2017.
Corporate and Commercial Litigation
Joanelle advises clients in relation to commercial litigation to include shareholder disputes and third party contractual matters.
Joanelle works closely with our Corporate Department on court applications concerning cross-border mergers, schemes of arrangement and migrations.
Litigation and Cyber-Security
Joanelle has acted for numerous insurance companies, particularly in relation to defence litigation and regulatory representation.
She also advises in relation to cyber-security issues and breaches.
Regulatory and Compliance
Joanelle regularly advises on statutory and non-statutory inquires, and regulatory and disciplinary hearings. She has advised on numerous fitness to practice inquiries, judicial reviews, High Court and Supreme Court appeals and cases before the European Court of Justice.
Joanelle has also been involved in significant hearings in relation to the Medical Council and the Nursing & Midwifery Board of Ireland and advises many other regulatory and statutory clients including the Teaching Council, the Garda Síochána Ombudsman Commission, the Pharmaceutical Society of Ireland, the Irish Blood Transfusion Board, the Child and Family Agency and the Health Service Executive.