Rob Corbet is Head of our Technology & Innovation Group, a market leading team dedicated to specialist data protection, IT and Intellectual Property law.
Rob’s practice is primarily focused on technological innovation. He acts for many of the world’s highest profile internet and technology companies, particularly on privacy, data protection and cyber-security matters. He is a leading authority on GDPR and has represented many clients in their dealings with the Data Protection Commission, including responding to formal domestic and cross border investigations and personally defending clients in criminal prosecutions before the courts. Rob’s Betting and Gaming practice is also market leading, reflecting over two decades of experience in Arthur Cox.
- Advising many of the world’s largest technology companies headquartered in Ireland in respect of their GDPR, ePrivacy and Cyber-Security programmes.
- Advising many leading online platforms and hosting providers in respect of their obligations under the Digital Services Act, the Online Safety and Media Regulation Act and other emerging laws governing Artificial Intelligence and digital governance. This includes advising on content moderation rules and procedures, law enforcement response procedures, independent compliance and audit functions and adtech regulation.
- Representing several industry bodies in their engagements with the DPC and other regulatory bodies, including the industry representative groups for Irish Industry, Insurance, Banking and Payments and Energy Suppliers.
- Representing many clients in responding to domestic and cross border investigations and inquiries undertaken by the DPC, including defending criminal prosecutions and advising on the defence of fines and other administrative sanctions.
- Advising multiple financial institutions on all manner of data protection issues relating to a large number of loan portfolio sales, including due diligence, data room management, contractual clauses, transitional services, international data transfers and dealing with data access requests and data subject complaints.
- Advising a number clients in relation to some of the most high-profile cyber-security incidents in Ireland and internationally and assisting in the implementation of remediation measures and the resolution of regulatory investigations and civil litigation. For example, Rob was appointed as lead strategic external counsel for the State in its response to the HSE Conti ransomware cyber-attack in 2021.