Rob Corbet is Head of our Technology & Innovation Practice, the largest legal team in Ireland dedicated to specialist IT, data protection and Intellectual Property law. Rob’s practice is primarily focused on technological innovation and, in particular, the protection and commercialisation of data and other forms of intellectual property. He is ranked as a “Market Leader” by Chambers Europe and a “Leading Individual” in Ireland for both his Information Technology and Intellectual Property practices by The Legal 500: EMEA.
Rob also leads our Privacy, Data Protection and Information Management practice where he has unrivalled experience in all aspects of privacy, data protection and cyber-security law. He has represented many clients in their dealings with the Data Protection Commissioner and he has personally defended multiple clients in prosecutions brought by the Data Protection Commissioner in respect of data security, direct marketing and other offences. In the Cyber-Security area, Rob has advised many clients in relation to some of the highest profile data breach incidents that have occurred in Ireland and internationally, including working with our Litigation team in obtaining appropriate court orders for the recovery and preservation of data and evidence. Rob was appointed to the Irish Government’s Data Forum in January 2016, he provides the expert commentary for the Data Protection Ireland journal and he is a past Chair of the ABA International Committee on Privacy E-Commerce and Data Security.
Rob’s Betting and Gaming practice is market leading, reflecting over 15 years of experience advising the leading players in the gambling industry in Ireland and internationally. He is a member of the International Masters of Gaming Law and he wrote the Irish Chapter for the global reference publication Gaming Law Jurisdictional Comparisons (Thomson Reuters, first and second editions, 2012 and 2014 ).
Rob is a frequent commentator on technology law and data privacy matters in the Irish and international media and he presents internationally at conferences several times a year. He is co-author of Technology and IP Law, (2008, Tottel Publishing/Law Society of Ireland), Business Law, (5th Edition, 2012, Oxford/Law Society of Ireland) and the International Privacy Guide – Irish Chapter (2009, West). Rob is also member of the firm’s Asia-Pacific Group.
- Co-Chair of the ABA International Committee on Privacy E-Commerce and Data Security
- Member of the Editorial Board of the leading data protection journal, ‘Privacy and Data Protection’
- Member of the International Privacy & Security Forum Global Advisory Board
- Business adviser for Enterprise Ireland’s Internet Growth Acceleration Programme (iGAP)
- Founder member of Data Protection Working Group of Association of Compliance Officers of Ireland (2009 – present)
- Co-Chair of the Cloud Computing and Virtualisation Committee of the American Bar Association International Law Section (ABA International
- 2008 – present: Expert Commentator, Data Protection Ireland (published by Privacy & Data Protection)
- “Gaming Law”, First Edition 2012, Second Edition 2014, Ireland Chapter (European Lawyer Reference, Thompson Reuters)
- Co-author: “Business Law”, 5th Edition (2012, Oxford/Law Society of Ireland)