Willie specialises in corporate recovery/restructuring and insolvency, both formal and informal.
Willie has been involved in most of the high profile restructurings and insolvencies in Ireland in recent years advising insolvency practitioners, creditor groups, debtor companies and other stakeholders. He advises banks and other stakeholders on their rights and options both in formal proceedings and restructuring projects. Willie’s practice also involves advising directors of companies suffering financial difficulty on their restructuring options, duties and potential liabilities.
- Advising the Liquidator of two Irish SPVs in the restructuring of €1.6bn plus loan note debt of Indah Kiat and PT Lontar Papyrus Pulp Paper Industry through a Scheme of Arrangement under the Irish Companies Acts
- Advising the largest loan note creditor on the Irish Companies Acts Scheme of Arrangement of Ballantyne Reinsurance Company Limited restructuring €1.65bn in debt
- Advising the Noteholder Steering Committee on all aspects of Irish law with respect to the cross border debt restructuring of Waypoint Helicopter Leasing involving individual aircraft owning companies based in the USA with an Irish parent company
- Advising the Provisional and Official Liquidators of Openhydro Group Limited with a deficit of circa €300 million
- Advising eircom on its restructuring through Examinersip
- Advising the Examiner of Shaw Academy Limited and related companies an online education company with over 4.5 million students globaly
- Advising UBS in relation to the Liquidation of Peel Aviation and procuring the appointment of the liquidator
- Advising the Examiner of Vision Built Group companies on their successful restructuring through Examinership
- Advising the Arcadia Group in relation to Irish restructuring options and the leasing arrangements in the context of group entities being the subject of a company voluntary arrangement in the UK
- Advising a financial institution as creditor in the Liquidation of Greymountain Management Limited, an Irish company involved in binary options trading
- BCL, 1986, University College, Dublin
- Admitted as a solicitor, 1992
- Former Chairman of the Irish Society of Insolvency Practitioners
- Council Member Insol Europe
- Member of R3
- Member of Irish Society of Insolvency Practitioners
William Day is widely respected as an eminent practitioner in the insolvency space. Clients are impressed by his “very capable and thorough” approach to cases.
Chambers Europe: Europe’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2018
William Day offers market-leading restructuring and insolvency expertise to accountancy practitioners, companies and banks. He has assisted with some of the country’s most high-profile and complex insolvencies, as well as related disputes.
Chambers Europe: Europe’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2017
Practice head William Day is “very strong in contentious situations.”
The Legal 500: Europe, Middle East & Africa 2017
William Day has “a good way of building consensus and finding solutions. He provides strategy and vision. Having worked on almost every major insolvency case during the last 20 years, he has experience of things that others often don’t.”
Chambers Europe: Europe’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2016