Our Intellectual Property Group is comprised of lawyers who have a deep level of expertise and experience in handling intellectual property mandates and who have acted in a number of high profile and complex matters in recent years.
The team acts for a number of global technology, content and life sciences companies as well as several Irish multinationals, domestic companies and third level institutions on a range of intellectual property matters across patents, trade marks, copyright (including software programs), database rights and trade secrets and associated commercialisation and enforcement matters. We also work closely with our tax department in assisting clients to execute their acquisition, commercialisation and enforcement strategies in a tax efficient manner. In contentious matters, the team is experienced in resolving disputes through the use of alternative dispute resolution mechanisms as well as through court injunctive relief and hearings. Our IP practice also includes a trade mark search, clearance, registration and prosecution service and advice on filing strategies, brand management and advertising and marketing compliance.
- Advising a number of multinational clients in the technology, pharmaceutical, medtech and food and agri sectors on IP restructurings and on protection and enforcement strategies.
- Advising Openet Telecom on IP matters including the IP aspects of its sale to Amdocs.
- Advising pharmaceutical company on injunctive relief in Ireland in patent infringement matter.
- Acting for Ryanair in Commercial Court proceedings against the operators of various third party websites for alleged copyright infringement by screen scraping.
- Acting for Facebook in defending Irish High Court proceedings brought by public figures in relation to alleged fake advertisements appearing on its platform and on various Notice and Takedown matters.
- Acting for Novozymes A/S, a global biotechnology group, on its acquisition of PrecisionBiotics, an Irish probiotics company.
- Acting for Dunnes Stores in successfully defending an action by Aldi in the leading Irish authority on comparative advertising ultimately determined by the Irish Supreme Court.
- Advising multinational social media companies on the protection and enforcement of copyright and database rights.
One client praises “the in-depth knowledge of the highly qualified team.”
Chambers Europe: Europe’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2020
One client remarks: “I work with Olivia Mullooly on any trade mark issues of my clients in Ireland. Olivia has great negotiation and communication skills. Olivia provides the same high standard that you expect when you work with the gold and silver circle firms in London.”
The Legal 500: Europe, Middle East & Africa, 2020
A client praises the team’s ”strong legal knowledge and speedy response time.”
Chambers Europe: Europe’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2019
Gavin Woods provides “considered advice.”
The Legal 500: Europe, Middle East & Africa, 2018