Insurance and Professional Indemnity Disputes
Our team provides strategic advice to major global and domestic insurers, reinsurers, brokers, and insured parties (including self-insured), across all industry sectors.
We have particular experience and expertise in complex policy interpretation and coverage issues, including from the early stages of a potential claim. We also advise on subrogation claims and act as monitoring/coverage counsel for insurers.
We have acted in high-profile and high-value insurance disputes in the Irish Courts, as well as in arbitrations and mediations.
Our contentious and non-contentious Insurance and Reinsurance specialists work closely together to provide a seamless service, including on complex regulatory/enforcement issues and risk management generally. This collaborative approach leads to very successful outcomes for our clients.
We also have a long-established practice in a broad range of professional indemnity and professional negligence disputes. We act for claimants and defendants in such actions, including financial institutions, public and private companies, and professional services firms.
- Advising a global general insurance company in a high-value (€10 million) and complex dispute relating to policy indemnification arising from an exclusionary clause in the policy. The case was the subject of litigation and arbitration.
- Acting for the policyholders in one of the leading Irish cases on insurance policy interpretation, Analog Devices v Zurich Insurance & Others, which involved a jurisdictional dispute and the application by the Irish court of Massachusetts law to an insurance policy.
- Acting for a major multinational insurer, as monitoring/coverage counsel, in relation to Irish Commercial Court proceedings issued against its insured, alleging negligent termination of a contract to provide services in a foreign jurisdiction. This matter included further advice regarding a subrogated professional negligence claim against one of the advisors to the insured seeking damages of €13 million.
- Acting for a high-profile client in the healthcare sector regarding a coverage dispute with their insurers in respect of multi-party High Court litigation.
- Advising a global insurer on complex coverage issues arising from a significant material damage claim following a fire at a high-profile retail premises. The value of the claim was in excess of €35 million.