Insurance and Reinsurance
Our corporate, regulatory and transactional insurance group is recognised as a market leader in Ireland. As an integrated insurance transactional and regulatory practice, the team advises a broad spectrum of industry participants including life / non-life insurers, reinsurers, intermediaries, private equity investors and significant industry associations.
The global insurance industry continues to face challenges and uncertainty due to market and regulatory pressures. In Europe, the regulatory landscape is rapidly changing and regulatory focus increasing in areas such as governance, risk and accountability. The expanded role of regulators in developing strategies to improve oversight and regulation is reflected in IAIS’s initiatives for international groups and G-SIIs.
Our technical ability, coupled with our emphasis on effective management and continuous service means we are well placed to advise our clients on the challenges and risks they encounter due to these developments, as well as the opportunities they may present. Each of the lawyers in our team are part of a culture built on responsiveness, performance and innovation and are part of a firm that has held its place in the forefront of legal services in Ireland by placing our clients at the forefront of everything we do.
We consistently advise on the largest and most innovative domestic and cross-border transactions in the insurance sector in Ireland. We are supported as and when needed by a multi-disciplinary team of dedicated specialist lawyers in allied practice areas such as tax, competition, data protection, M&A, litigation and dispute resolution.
Our contentious insurance practice forms part of our Litigation, Dispute Resolutions and Investigations Group and is recognised for its extensive experience in large complex disputes in the areas of medical, personal injury and general liability insurance.
- Advising Swiss Re on its acquisition of Ark Life Assurance Company Limited as part of its £1.6bn acquisition of the Guardian Financial Group
- Advising Exor S.p.A. on its $6.9 billion proposed acquisition of PartnerRe Limited
- Advising CNP on its €300 million acquisition of a 51% stake in Santander’s Irish insurance operations
- Advising an international insurance group on the acquisition of the largest domestic life insurance and pensions group
- Advising a global consultancy firm on the establishment of an Irish authorised captive insurer and the transfer of business from its exiting Bermuda and Vermont captives to the Irish captive
- Advising the Quest Group on the acquisition of a number of Irish run-off portfolios, including Icarom plc (the former Insurance Corporation of Ireland) and PMI Mortgage Insurance Company Limited
- Advising an Irish non-life insurer on a transfer of business to Bermuda by way of an Irish High Court sanctioned Scheme of Arrangement
- Advising Phoenix Life Limited on the disposal of Scottish Mutual International Holdings Limited