Food and Agri
Arthur Cox is one of the few Irish law firms to have a specialist, multidisciplinary Food & Agri Group, comprising lawyers from other key practice groups within the firm. The group advises food, drink and agribusiness companies on the manufacture, promotion and sale of their products in Ireland.
With our in-depth knowledge of these sectors, our specialist team can guide you through the regulatory regime on food and feed safety; food and feed hygiene and HACCP; food packaging, labelling, advertising and marketing of food and drink products; and nutrition and health claims and restrictions on allergens and additives. We also advise our clients on regulatory compliance issues, including good manufacturing practice requirements, which may provide a defence in regulatory proceedings. We can guide you through your obligations on waste packaging, food waste and animal by-products. We can also advise on carbon footprinting and carbon-labelling.
All members of the group are experienced litigators. We provide comprehensive and strategic advice, both at the pre-litigation stage and in contentious and non-contentious cases, in relation to the anticipation and management of risk, product recall and crisis management strategies.
We also advise on regulatory breach, enforcement proceedings, product safety and liability, nuisance, environmental breach and on any associated litigation. In doing so, we will work with you to ensure that your business reputation, brand reputation and financial interests are protected.
We understand the opportunities for our clients presented by the growth of the food, agribusiness, aquaculture and beverage sectors and we assist clients, from producers and manufacturers to distributors and retailers, to exploit those opportunities to maximum effect. We are keen to assist food and agribusiness companies in playing their part in delivering on Ireland’s Food Harvest 2020 targets and the objectives set out in the Organic Farming Action Plan 2013.
- Advising Glanbia plc on the sale of its Dairy Ingredients Ireland business to a joint venture with its majority shareholder, Glanbia Co-operative Society Limited
- Advising Dairygold Co-operative Society Limited on the demerger and spin-off of its property and other non-core interests into Reox Holdings plc
- Advising Reox Holdings plc on the sale of its consumer foods division to Kerry Group plc
- Advising Greencore Group on the disposal of its malt business
- Advising LVA and VFI on EU and competition law implications of proposed lid-on-tax for alcoholic drinks sold in off-trade outlets
- Representing the Irish beef industry in proceedings brought by the Competition Authority in the High Court, Supreme Court and European Court concerning industry rationalisation
- Advising Reox Holdings plc on the disposal of Breeo Foods brands to Kerry Group – blocked by the Competition Authority under merger control rules but successfully appealed in the High Court
- Representing Greencore Group in merger control applications for proposed acquisition of Northern Foods Ltd and acquisition of Uniq plc