Kate is Of Counsel in our Litigation, Dispute Resolution and Investigations Department Group and specialises in the area of Healthcare law, professional regulation and Litigation.
Kate advises on all aspects of healthcare service provision and regulation, including mental health, vulnerable adults and investigations.
Kate has significant experience advising in the healthcare sector and has advised in relation to a wide variety of disputes and regulatory issues encountered by clients.
She regularly advises public and private health and social care providers in relation to their statutory obligations and corporate governance. Kate also has significant experience in the conduct of professional misconduct inquiries and disciplinary proceedings.
Kate also advises Nursing Homes and other social care providers on their obligations under the Health Acts, including the compliance requirements of HIQA.
- Advised clients in relation to Ward of Court applications and High Court applications regarding medical treatment, where patients lack capacity to consent.
- Advised in relation to litigation and regulatory risk in the context of the sale and acquisition of Nursing Homes regulated by HIQA.
- Advised healthcare clients and other clients in the social care and disability sectors in relation to regulatory compliance, inspections by HIQA and the regulation of nursing homes and designated centres for children and adults with disabilities.
- Advised Nursing Home providers regarding appeals against proposed decisions by HIQA to cancel their registration.
- Advised clients regarding the management of clinical negligence, product liability and large-scale personal injury claims.
- Advised extensively in relation to the application of fair procedures to investigative processes, reviews and look backs and in Judicial Review proceedings arising in this context.
- Advised professionals, state agencies and voluntary hospitals responding to complaints before the Medical Council, the Health and Social Care Professionals Council (“CORU”), the Veterinary Council of Ireland and has advised many clients in relation to reporting obligations to the various professional regulators.
- Kate has Represented professional regulators in numerous judicial reviews and appeals to the High Court regarding decisions of the regulators.
Education & Qualifications
- LLB, 2008, Trinity College Dublin
- Diploma in Finance Law, 2010, Law Society of Ireland
- Diploma in International Financial Services Law, 2011, University College Dublin
- Admitted as a solicitor in Ireland, 2012