Andrew is an Of Counsel in the Finance Department and advises on all aspects of asset management and investment funds/ETFs.
Andrew has extensive experience in advising on the legal and regulatory issues surrounding the establishment and regulation of investment funds in Ireland, such as the structuring and offering of such funds, the eligibility of various asset classes, and ongoing legal and regulatory issues.
Andrew also advises clients on the authorisation and regulation of investment managers by the Central Bank, coordinating the registration of Irish investment vehicles outside of Ireland and coordinating the registration of offshore investment vehicles in Ireland, and advising them of the relevant Irish marketing requirements. Andrew works closely with a number of leading asset managers primarily based in the U.K. and the U.S. and advised them on the establishment and authorisation of investment funds in Ireland. Following qualification as a solicitor in 2011, Andrew was seconded to Ganado & Associates, Advocates in Malta in order to gain experience in international financial services.
- Advising on the establishment of UCITS and non-UCITS structures in Ireland
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating of all asset management and fund related documentation and agreements
- Advising on the registration of offshore investment vehicles in Ireland and advising them of the relevant Irish marketing requirements
- Providing ongoing regulatory advice to existing clients in respect of legal, operational, and administration issues relating to funds
- Advising on compliance matters, including the establishment of compliance policies and procedures, anti-money laundering issues, and corporate governance.
- 2007 – LL B, Trinity College Dublin
- 2009 – Diploma in Applied Finance Law, Law Society of Ireland
- 2011 – Admitted as a solicitor in Ireland
“Andrew O’Connor is one of the hardest-working lawyers I’ve ever met. On top of that, he’s one of the nicest people you could ever deal with.”
The Legal 500, 2020