Jennifer is head of the firm’s Insurance Group. Jennifer advises both domestic and international clients on all aspects of insurance law and regulation.
Jennifer’s practice includes advising on the establishment of an Irish carrier; on-going prudential requirements (e.g. solvency requirements, corporate governance, compliance and substance requirements) and the provision of insurance on a cross-border basis (e.g. conduct of business rules, product offerings and establishment requirements for third country providers). Jennifer has advised extensively on portfolio transfers (both life and non-life), cross-border mergers, court-sanctioned amalgamations and transfers of insurance/reinsurance business and notifiable acquisitions/disposals in Irish insurers/reinsurers. Jennifer also advises on distribution arrangements (including white labelling distribution), outsourcing in the insurance sector and reinsurance / retrocession arrangements.
- Acting for Swiss Re on a number of matters including ReAssure’s acquisition of the Guardian Financial Services, investment by MS&AD, and sale of Reassure to Phoenix Group
- Numerous insurers on complex Irish High Court sanctioned portfolio transfers and cross border mergers including RSA, AIG, Rothesay and Zurich, Randall and Quilter
- Advising on the administration and liquidation of insurers including issues of access to the Irish Insurance Compensation Scheme including CBL Insurance, Setanta and Quinn Insurance.
- Advising Great West-Life Co on the acquisition of Irish Life Group for €1.3 billion
- Advising CNP on its €300 million acquisition of a 51% stake in Santander’s Irish insurance operations
- Advising EXOR on its $6.9 billion acquisition of the Partner Re Group
- Devising remediation plans for identified life insurance product issue.
- Advising Insurance Ireland in respect of the European Commission anti-trust “dawn raid” investigations into the Insurance sector
- Advising on numerous insurance distribution arrangements (white labelled/ innovative platforms) including for 123.ie and KBC Insurance
- BCL (Law and French) (First Class Hons), University College Cork 2000
- Smurfit Graduate School of Business – Diploma in Financial Studies (First Class Hons) 2001
- Admitted as a solicitor in Ireland in 2006
- Member of the Law Society of Ireland
- Member of the Association of Compliance Officers in Ireland
Jennifer McCarthy is “extremely knowledgeable.”
Chambers Europe: Europe’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2019
Jennifer McCarthy is “extremely pragmatic, smart and outcome-oriented. She is very capable, hard-working and available.”
Chambers Europe: Europe’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2018
Jennifer McCarthy is “technically very strong in insurance portfolio transfers, as well as incredibly commercial and pragmatic.”
Chambers Europe: Europe’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2017
Jennifer McCarthy has “outstanding knowledge of the regulatory space.”
The Legal 500: Europe, Middle East & Africa, 2017