Conor has practised in commercial disputes for over 20 years and has specialised in large scale litigation across a range of areas including shareholder disputes, banking disputes and financial services.
Conor has considerable expertise in relation to competition and regulatory disputes encompassing both regulatory intervention and inquiries, appeals, statutory appeals and judicial review. He has handled regulatory cases across the telecom, aviation, energy and banking/financial sectors. Conor is a CEDR accredited mediator.
Conor sits on the Litigation Management Committee of the Law Society and is a Committee Member of the Commercial Litigation Association of Ireland, a joint initiative between members of the Bar and solicitors practising in the area of Commercial Litigation.
- Acting for the administrator of a hedge fund in defence of a professional negligence claim for €400 million approx being brought by the liquidators of the fund
- Acting for daa plc, the national airport operator, in a number of disputes, in particular, litigation with Ryanair and in disputes and appeals involving Ryanair and the Commission for Aviation Regulation challenging various determinations by the Commission fixing the level of airport charges
- Advising shareholder disputes before the Commercial Court involving shareholder oppression in companies holding properties worth in excess of €200 million
- Acting for domestic and international financial institutions in defence of a series of claims for alleged mis-selling of financial products particularly bonds and derivative instruments
- Acting for the Irish Minister for Finance in defence of multiple linked claims challenging the recapitalisation of an Irish credit institution under the CISA Act
- Acting for First Active plc (part of the RBS Group) in a series of linked proceedings brought by the Cunningham Group involving claims in excess of €150 million arising out of the appointment by First Active of a Receiver to the Cunningham Group
- Acting for Fyffes plc in successful insider dealing case against DCC plc and others. This was the first case of its kind in Europe and was won on appeal to the Supreme Court
- Acting for Viridian Group in a number of challenges to various decisions of the regulator in the electricity market in Ireland
- BA (Mod), 1984, Trinity College, Dublin
- Admitted as a solicitor in Ireland, 1988
- Member of Litigation Management Committee of the Law Society
- CEDR Accredited Mediator
- Conor is a Committee Member and was the founding Chairman of the Commercial Litigation Association of Ireland, a joint initiative between members of the Bar and solicitors practising in the area of Commercial Litigation.
- Member of the firm’s CSR Committee
Conor McDonnell is “very shrewd, practical and clued in.”
Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2019
Conor McDonnell is “practical, commercial and helpful. He always has good insight into where the real commercial interest is in the litigation.”
Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2018
Conor McDonnell “is a cut above most of the lawyers I have dealt with – he gives exceptional advice and is one of the best litigators out there.”
Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2017
Conor McDonnell is “very experienced.”
The Legal 500: Europe, Middle East & Africa, 2017