Digital Infrastructure and Telecoms
Arthur Cox has one of the leading digital infrastructure practices in Ireland, covering all aspects of telecoms and physical infrastructure for digital communications including data storage and transfer. We advise on a range of issues from telecoms regulation and enforcement to network sharing, infrastructure investments and tower asset acquisitions.
We also advise on related digital infrastructure such as sub-sea and terrestrial cables and data centres, supporting our clients on everything from construction and development through to colocation, connection, service and power purchase agreements.
Our lawyers have in-depth knowledge and experience of the particular requirements of the telecommunications and digital infrastructure sectors and understand the environment in which our clients operate. At the forefront of regulatory and legal developments, our lawyers provide practical, industry-focused, first-class legal advice and use their multidisciplinary expertise in this sector to guide our clients.
The Group has been involved in almost every major transaction in Ireland over the past 30 years and has advised eircom Limited, National Broadband Ireland, Meteor Mobile Communications Limited, Vodafone Ireland Limited, Facebook, Irish public broadcaster RTÉ and broadcasting network operator 2RN. Members of the Group have also been involved in framing relevant legislation and in significant telecoms regulatory and commercial cases before the Irish High Court.
The team is structured on a cross-departmental basis and draws on the specialist skills of our Corporate, Finance and Competition and Regulated Markets Groups, working very closely with the Technology, Media and Intellectual Property Groups as well as the Construction, Real Estate and Energy Groups as required.
- Advised Phoenix Tower International on its agreement with eir to purchase over 650 existing wireless towers and acquire over 700 newly constructed wireless towers over eight years across Ireland through a build-to-suit programme for an estimated €300 million
- Advised Cellnex Telecom on its €210 million acquisition of telecoms infrastructure from Cignal
- Advised the winning consortium on the successful tender, equity raise and rollout of National Broadband Ireland (NBI)
- Advised eir, the largest telecommunications company in Ireland, on the corporate and regulatory aspects of its acquisition by NJJ / Iliad, with a reported deal value of €3.5 billion
- Advised Brookfield Asset Management on corporate, regulatory and merger control aspects of its acquisition of a majority stake in Imagine Communications Group, an independent provider of fixed wireless high-speed broadband services, reported at €120 million
- Advised eir on its engagement with the Department of Communications, Climate Action and Environment and with ComReg in relation to the rollout of the National Broadband Plan
- Advising Vodafone on its joint venture with ESB (Siro) for the roll-out of its Fibre to the Building (FTTB) broadband project aimed at urban centres in Ireland
- Advised Vodafone Ireland on the employment law aspects of various acquisitions and commercial agreements; specifically assisting with TUPE issues related to internal/group service transfers within Ireland and internationally and the outsourcing of services to external providers