Our Intellectual Property practice is a multidisciplinary one combining partners and associates from each of our Technology & Innovation, Litigation & Dispute Resolution, Tax and Corporate teams. This approach helps us to resource cases with lawyers offering complementary skillsets appropriate to the issue at hand.
On the advisory side of the practice, we counsel clients in relation to the planning and execution of their intellectual property protection and commercialisation strategies. We have an unrivalled level of experience in relation to intellectual property law, copyright, trademark and patent law, licensing, technology transfer and research and development agreements, having advised many third level institutions and industry partners in high value collaborative research projects. Our Technology & Innovation team have extensive experience working on IP matters with global technology and life sciences companies and our Media & Entertainment practice has a broad client base across the entertainment industry, including film, games, multimedia and music.
Tax Effective IP Structures
In conjunction with our Tax team, our Technology & Innovation lawyers work closely with clients engaged in high value innovation to identify efficient and cost effective intellectual property structures. We have worked with many international clients who have chosen Ireland as an innovation centre from where they can build their research and development capacity and manage their European and worldwide IP portfolios effectively and tax efficiently.
IP Disputes and Litigation
In conjunction with our Litigation & Dispute Resolution Group, our IP team has many years of experience advising on all manner of IP disputes, from “cease and desist” letters, injunctions, High Court disputes and alternative dispute resolution.
Our advisory and litigation practices extend across the full ambit of intellectual property rights including:
- Copyright Law– the protection, licensing and assignment of copyright works, including databases proprietary software and open source software
- Trade Mark Law and Passing Off/Unfair Competition – Advising on international brand protection and trade mark strategies and on trade mark licences, assignments, securitisations and white labelling agreements
- Patents Law – Advising on patent licensing and exploitation in the biotechnology, software, electronic devices, medical devices and pharmaceuticals industries
- Unregistered IP – advising on the legal protection and commercial exploitation of data as an intellectual asset
- Confidential Information/Trade Secrets – advising on the protection and retrieval of confidential information and trade secrets, including advising on data breach incident responses and the application of employment laws and fair procedures in workplace investigations
- IP Litigation – advising on IP litigation strategies, injunctive reliefs, trial preparation, e-discovery and the use of novel court reliefs such as Anton Pillar and Norwich Pharmacal Orders
- Alternative Dispute Resolution – we have advised clients on the successful resolution of IP disputes using a range of ADR procedures, including mediation and arbitration