Arthur Cox has Ireland’s leading practice in the area of betting and gaming. In addition to advising Ireland’s largest betting operators, we also advise multi-national operators and suppliers who have chosen Ireland as a venue to host some or all of their IT and cloud infrastructure and/or corporate headquarters. Our Betting & Gaming practice sits within our Technology & Innovation Group where we combine our broad expertise in internet law and regulation with specific legal knowledge in relation to the regulation and licensing of gambling and entertainment products and services. The practice is led by partner, Rob Corbet, who has published and presented internationally in relation to gambling law in Ireland and is a member of the International Masters of Gaming Law. We wrote the Irish Chapter for the global reference publication Gaming Law Jurisdictional Comparisons (Thomson Reuters, first and second editions, 2012 and 2014).
Our expertise extends across the full range of legal issues arising in the online and land-based betting and gaming sector including:
- Establishing and operating a lawful online betting / gaming facility from within Ireland
- The reform of Ireland’s gambling laws (including the Betting (Amendment) Act 2015 and the proposed Gambling Control Bill)
- The regulation and taxation of on-course, retail and online bookmakers under the Betting Act 1931 and the Betting (Amendment) Act 2015
- The application and enforcement of the Gaming and Lotteries Act 1956 (as amended) in respect of the provision of poker, casino and bingo services
- The legal treatment of betting exchanges, spread betting operators, totalisators / pari-mutual wagers, contracts for differences and other innovative betting models
- The enforceability of gambling contracts
- Cross jurisdictional issues
- Licensing or intellectual property rights and white labeling arrangements
- The operation and promotion of private members clubs
- The lawful promotion and operation of competitions
- The tax treatment of betting and gaming activity and commercial agreements
Partner Rob Corbet has published and presented extensively on the rapidly changing features of the Irish legal betting and gaming landscape.