The Arthur Cox Renewables, Energy and Natural Resources Group is widely recognised as the premier all-island renewables, energy and resources practice. We have a client base, track record and depth of specialist resources that are the envy of the market. Our track record in advising on regulatory reform, market design and major energy infrastructure projects in Ireland and Northern Ireland is without peer.
Arthur Cox has an unrivalled depth of expertise in the energy and resources sectors in both the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland, offering specialist advice across the full spectrum of relevant disciplines, including:
- Energy regulation under domestic and EU law
- Development of independent power projects
- Development of renewable energy projects, including wind, solar, CHP, biomass, hydro-electricity and waste to energy
- Regulatory reform and energy market design
- Physically and financially settled gas and electricity trading arrangements
- Emissions trading and Renewables Obligation Certificate trading
- Electricity and gas retail supply contracts
- Electricity connection and use of system arrangements
- Electricity and gas transmission, distribution and interconnection
- Gas connection, shipping and storage
- Mineral and gas exploration and production
- Environment and planning
- Project finance
- Mergers and acquisitions
We have extensive experience acting for government, regulators, financiers, market participants and customers in Ireland, Northern Ireland and internationally. This gives us a unique perspective on the commercial and policy imperatives of different stakeholders in the sector and significantly enhances our ability to add value for our clients.
Major recent projects in which the Energy and Resources Group has been involved include:
- Conventional Power Projects including advising the sponsors on the development of the 343MW CCGT Huntstown I Power Project; the 401.5MW CCGT Huntstown II Power Project; the 445MW CCGT Whitegate Power Project; and the 431MW CCG Great Island Power Project.
- Renewable Power Projects advising government, sponsors, financiers, offtakers and purchasers in relation to more than 60 planned and operational onshore wind projects; every consented offshore wind project in Ireland; multiple small scale solar and CHP projects; the 50MW Mayo biomass project and the €500M Dublin Waste to Energy PPP Project.
- Electrical Interconnectors, including advising EirGrid on the €150 million Phase 1 and €600 million Phase 2 funding of the 500MW HVDC East West Interconnector and Mutual Energy on the ownership and operation of the 500MW HVDC Moyle Interconnector.
- Upstream Gas including advising the State on the development of the Petroleum Safety Framework and all offshore consents for the Corrib Gas Field.
- Downstream Gas including advising on the development of the implementation of Entry/Exit and development of the Unified Code of Operations in Ireland.
- Energy Market Reform, including advising on the implementation of I-SEM (Ireland and NI); SEM (Ireland and NI); MAE (Ireland); BETTA (UK) and gas entry/exit (Ireland and NI);
- Mergers & Acquisitions including the reported €1billion sale of Viridian Group to I-Squared; the reported €1.1billion acquisition of Bord Gais Energy; the reported €1.2billion sale of NIE to ESB; the reported €1.1billion sale of Airtricity Holdings; the reported £1.62billion acquisition of Viridian Group by Arcapita; the acquisition of the 1,316MW Ballylumford Power Station by AES; the reported €450 million disposal by ESB of 1,300MW of generation assets to Endesa A/S and the acquisition of a majority interest in the 400ME Tynagh CCGT Power Project by GE.
- Energy Financing including over €5billion of project, corporate and acquisition finance facilities in the wind, biomass, waste-to-energy, hydro, landfill gas, coal, CCGT, mining and natural gas sectors.