The water sector in Ireland – both North and South – is in the process of ongoing major change as both jurisdictions undertake very substantial investments in infrastructure and quality of supply. At Arthur Cox, our Water and Waste-Water Team’s substantial experience covers all aspects of water sector legal advice, from regulatory, strategic and policy advices through to project financing, environmental and implementation matters. In addition to our strong record on water infrastructure development, we advise a range of water companies in the private sector on everything from major PPP concessions to corporate transactions.
Arthur Cox has advised on many of Ireland’s largest water and wastewater projects including joint venture consortia and participants offering specialist advice across the full spectrum of relevant disciplines, from contract negotiations to achieving financial close including:
- Domestic and EU water and wastewater regulation
- Design Build Operate and Maintain municipal water treatment projects.
- Water metering schemes
- Subcontracting of Design-Build and Operation and Maintenance functions.
- Strategic environmental assessment of water programmes.
- Environmental impact assessment of water projects
- Public Procurement
- Acting for the successful international consortium, comprising AWG plc, Celtic Anglian Water Ltd, Coffey Construction Ltd & Purac Ltd, undertaking the Design, Build Operation and Maintenance of the Waterford Wastewater Treatment Works.
- Acting for the successful international consortium, comprising AWG plc, Celtic Anglian Water Ltd, Coffey Construction Ltd & Purac Ltd, undertaking the Design, Build Operation and Maintenance of the Sligo Wastewater Treatment Works.
- Advising the designer, TJ O’Connor & Associates, in respect of the civil works for the Osberstown Sewerage Sludge Treatment Plant for Kildare County Council.
- Advising AWG plc (formerly Anglian Water plc) and Celtic Anglian Water Limited in respect of the Cork water metering project
- Advising Celtic Anglian Water Limited in respect of its operation and maintenance of the Dublin Bay Wastewater Treatment works, one of the largest in Europe.
- Advising the Ministry of Electricity and Water of the Kingdom of Bahrain in relation to proposals for the structural and regulatory reform of the electricity and water sectors in Bahrain.
- Advising Fingal County Council in relation to the preparation and implementation of the Greater Dublin Region Strategic Drainage Study, including the development of wastewater treatment infrastructure in County Dublin.
- Advising Dublin City Council on proposals to secure new sources for drinking water supply to the Greater Dublin Region, including proposals for the abstraction of water from the river Shannon and transporting this through multiple local authorities along the breadth of the Country.
- Advising Kildare County Council and its Client Manager on the Kildare Water Abstraction Project (abstracting large volumes of water from River Barrow and the abstraction and piping of a new public water supply between separate river basin catchment areas originating and ending in different counties) and successfully defending subsequent third party litigation.
- Advising on the Lough Mourne/Letterkenny Water Supply Scheme in County Donegal, the Costello Regional Water Supply Scheme in County Galway and the Edenderry/Rhode Water Supply Scheme in County Offaly.
- Advising and representing Kildare County Council in securing approval for wellfield development schemes involving the groundwater abstraction of subterranean waters at multiple locations throughout north Kildare.
- Advising Fingal County Council in successfully securing approval from An Bord Pleanála for the laying of water supply pipelines under novel procedures introduced under section 182 of the Planning and Development Act 2000.
- Advising bidders in respect of Northern Ireland’s Water and Wastewater PFI projects, “Alpha” and “Omega”.
- Advising public authorities (including Waterways Ireland) and developers in relation to a number of proposed hydro-electric generation projects.
- Advising Ulster Bank in relation to the financing of the acquisition of Hibernian Hydro, owner of a portfolio of hydro-electric generation assets, by Celtic Hydro.
- Advising a final bidder in relation to the Ballymore Eustace Water Treatment Plant on the outskirts of Dublin.
- Advising developers in relation to the design and build (with operational options) of a waste water treatment facility dedicated to the support of a major new residential/recreational/hotel development as an option to upgrading the existing local authority treatment works.