The Arthur Cox Media and Entertainment Group is a leading practice in the area of media and entertainment law in Ireland and complements the firm’s client base, ensuring that we continue to provide the full range of legal services to our clients. With our Belfast and London offices we have a quality cross-border capability and offer a seamless service across both jurisdictions on the island of Ireland.
The Group works closely with the Technology & Innovation, Intellectual Property, Defamation and Finance Groups and draw on the expertise of other specialist lawyers in the firm as required. We advise the creative industries on all of their legal needs including finance and funding, contract law, regulation, music, film and television, advertising and sponsorship, publishing, defamation and commercial arrangements generally. We act for television and radio broadcasters, cable companies, production and distribution companies, publishers, advertising agencies, record companies and talent, as well as many digital and on-line media, content provision and telecommunications companies.
Please also visit our Technology & Innovation and Intellectual Property online resource, TechBrief Now in the Updates section of the site, which brings you the latest news, updates and commentary on a range of issues relevant to the technology and intellectual property sector in Ireland and further afield.
The Group advises on the full range of issues relevant to the media and entertainment industry including:
The Group regularly advises broadcasters, advertisers and other interested parties in their dealings with the Broadcasting Commission of Ireland and on the interpretation of broadcasting law and legislation and Codes and Standards.
Allied to our existing expertise in music copyright, sound broadcasting, digital media and dispute resolution, our Media and Entertainment Group advises on recording contracts, contract law, music publishing, management agreements, merchandising and live performance agreements.
Film and Television
The Dublin and Belfast media teams advise on all areas of film and television finance and production, including film funding and finance, contract law, tax based and other incentives, production finance, international and local distribution, licensing and talent.
Advertising and Sponsorship
We advise advertisers and producers of products and services on regulation, clearance, brand and rights protection as well as in the drafting and negotiation of all forms of sponsorship and advertising services agreements.
The Group has particular expertise in publishing, both in print and digital media, and content provision and also advises writers, contributors and publishing houses in the print and online media on copyright and defamation, as well as drafting and negotiating, publishing, printing and distribution agreements and other related commercial contracts.
Defamation and Privacy
The Group draws on the expertise and experience of our Litigation and Dispute Resolution Group in advising clients on media and entertainment related issues, in particular defamation, rights protection and alternative dispute resolution.
In addition to the above, as a market leader in the provision of corporate legal services in Ireland and Northern Ireland, we advise our clients in the media industry on all corporate and commercial issues, banking and financial transactions and any tax and property matters that may arise.
- Advising broadcasters on recent proposed broadcasting legislation
- Advised on all regulatory and commercial media aspects of the acquisition by UTV of its radio interests in Ireland
- Advising The Kanyu Tree on Recording and Publishing agreements with Sony
- Advising record labels on BES investment, subscription and shareholders agreements, contracting artists and on management and recording agreements/li>
- Advising performers on recording and publishing agreements, with major and independent labels, endorsement deals, management agreements and copyright protection generally
Film & Television
- Advising Savage Productions on the project “Savage”
- Advising the Irish Film Board on the financing of productions in Ireland
- Advising advertising bodies on submissions relating to and the interpretation of new advertising codes and standards
- Advising clients on agreements with advertising agencies, public relations agencies, airtime sales agreements and commissioning of creative campaigns
- Advised RTE on the printing and distribution agreements for the RTE Guide, Ireland’s largest selling magazine
- Advising “Image” magazine on the acquisition of “Garden Heaven” and on various contributor and photographer agreements
- Advised several best selling authors on publishing contracts
Defamation and Privacy
Arthur Cox has unrivalled experience in advising on defamation and privacy issues. Our clients include state broadcasters, as well as international, national and provincial newspapers. We advise state bodies, corporations, entrepreneurs, members of government and individual members of the business community and celebrities. Our experience and our sensitivity to the needs of our client greatly enhance our ability to achieve the optimum resolution within the shortest timeframe.