Arthur Cox has a leading Construction Law practice. Our growing Construction Group in Belfast comprises three partners and five associates. Our clients are important to us and everything we do is driven by our clients’ needs and objectives. Our aim is to give practical no-nonsense advice in plain English which can be easily understood and followed by our clients. We listen to our clients and due to extensive knowledge of the construction industry we understand the problems and pitfalls facing people involved in the construction industry be they Government departments, funders, developers, contractors, members of the professional team or sub-contractors.
Our Construction Group is able to combine a depth of experience and expertise in all matters relating to construction and engineering with an understanding of the commercial objectives and imperatives of our clients. Our experience spans a breadth of industrial and commercial sectors, including transport infrastructure (road, light and heavy rail, airports), social infrastructure (education, health and urban regeneration), energy (gas and electricity generating plants and pipelines, wind energy), waste and water treatment facilities (including bio-fuel and waste recovery facilities), telecommunications, pharmaceutical and specialist manufacturing, retail, commercial and residential property development.
The Group provides advice on both contentious and non-contentious matters to contracting authorities, developers, contractors, construction professionals and funders. We advise on procurement strategy, considering the most appropriate form of contract (utilising both UK and international standard forms), advising on amendments required for a particular project, as well as drafting bespoke contracts. Our advice spans the life of a project and our construction team has an impressive depth of experience in adjudication, arbitration, litigation and mediation involving all types of project, thus ensuring effective dispute resolution.
In addition, we have extensive experience in advising lenders to the construction industry and in particular have acted for a number of local banks on transactions with Northern Irish registered housing association borrowers.
All members of our Group are industry specialists and can draw on a wide variety of skills and experience from both within the Construction Group and from other specialist departments within Arthur Cox (including, amongst others, procurement, projects, banking, property, planning, environmental, energy and corporate) to provide seamless delivery of timely and comprehensive advice. Members of the team also work closely with construction colleagues in our Dublin office.
We provide a quality value for money service and offer specialist advice across all aspects of the construction process, including:
- the preparation, negotiation and review of development, construction, engineering and professional contracts
- the preparation, negotiation and review of bonds and collateral warranties
- all methods of dispute resolution including litigation, arbitration, mediation or adjudication
- project finance, PFI and PPP
- professional negligence
- environmental liability
- health and safety law
- insolvency issues
- public procurement issues
Recent work highlights include:
- Titanic Signature Project – advising Belfast City Council in relation to the Construction elements of the Signature Project at Titanic Quarters, Belfast
- Belfast Schools PPP Project – Advised Amey Plc on the construction and property aspects of the Belfast Schools PPP Project which recently reached financial close
- Public Works Contracts – Advised the Association of Consulting Engineers of Ireland (ACEI) on the new Public Works Contracts and the implications for engineers
- Giants’ Causeway Centre & Cushendall Marina – Ongoing advice to Moyle District Council on the proposed redevelopment of the visitor facilities at the
- Giants’ Causeway and the construction of a new marina in Cushendall
- NI Waste Infrastructure Plan – Advising arc21 (11 councils) and SIB, PDSU, DOE on its NI Waste Infrastructure Plan, including advance works design and construction contract and related documentation
- Victoria Square – Advised Q-Park in relation to construction issues at Victoria Square
Construction Contracts Scheme Defence – Defending a telecommunications client on a £7m adjudication claim under the Construction Contracts Scheme – the award made was limited to less than £30,000
- Belfast to Bangor rail relay project – Acting for Translink / Northern Ireland Railways in respect of its Belfast to Bangor rail relay project
- Workplace 2010 – A member of the Construction Group advised SIB in relation to the DBFM elements of the Workplace 2010 project for the delivery of government office accommodation across Northern Ireland
- Advising the Devine Group on building contracts and ancillary documentation in various projects