Merger control is one of our core practice areas. The Group advises Irish and international clients on an ongoing basis on the largest and most complex cases reviewed by the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (CCPC) in Ireland. The Group also has extensive experience of notifying mergers to the European Commission under the EU Merger Regulation, and in handling cases notified to the Minister for Communications under the Irish media merger rules.
Our experience includes:
- Advising eir on the regulatory aspects of its acquisition by NJJ Group and companies controlled by Xavier Niel, including obtaining unconditional clearances from the European Commission under the EU Merger Regulation, the Minister for Communications under the Irish media merger rules and the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland under relevant licences.
- Advising Sports Direct on securing Irish merger control clearance in respect of its acquisition of House of Fraser.
- Advising Sky Betting and Gaming Group on securing Irish merger control clearance for the acquisition of SkyBet by The Stars Group, Inc.
- Advising Brookfield Capital Partners on its acquisition of Imagine Communications Group, which was cleared unconditionally by the CCPC.
- Advising Greenergy International on the EU merger control aspects of its acquisition of Inver Energy, which was cleared unconditionally by the European Commission.
- Advising Kennedy-Wilson Holdings, Inc. on securing Irish merger control clearance for its €1.6 billion merger with Kennedy Wilson Europe Real Estate plc and a number of property acquisitions in Ireland.
- Advising public service media organisation RTÉ on securing Irish merger control clearance for its international digital media rights joint venture with Ireland’s largest sporting organisation, the GAA.
- Advising Paddy Power plc on securing Irish merger control clearance for its €10 billion merger with Betfair Group plc.
- Advising Vodafone Ireland on securing EU merger control clearance for the establishment of a joint venture with the ESB to build and operate a fibre-to-the-building network to homes and businesses in Ireland.