The role of legal secretary is a pivotal one – without a supportive and efficient legal secretary, none of our lawyers would be able to conduct their practices successfully. Over the following pages, you will gain a clear understanding of what it is like to work in Arthur Cox as a legal secretary.
We will describe what it is like to work here in our firm and what kind of people and skill sets we need you to have before joining us. You can also hear the opinions of two of our current legal secretaries who describe what they have found working life in Arthur Cox like.
We do not have any vacancies at the moment. To be considered for any future positions, please forward your CV to email@example.com.
What We Look For
At Arthur Cox we value the diversity and individuality of our people. There is no Arthur Cox type, but there are qualities and experiences that we look for in a legal secretary:
- Typing skills – 70 words per minute.
- At least four years’ legal secretarial experience for those who wish to apply to our Property or Litigation departments;
- For our Banking or Commercial departments, legal experience is preferable but not essential. However, potential applicants should have PA experience of at least 4 years;
- A pleasant telephone manner;
- A professional image;
- Applicants should be adaptable, enthusiastic and friendly;
- Excellent communication skills are essential;
- We look for people who are team players, yet who can also work on their own initiative;
- Bright, ambitious people with the ability to work closely with others.
Karen Kavanagh – Litigation Secretary
I joined Arthur Cox in 2003. I currently work for Greg Glynn who is a Partner in the Litigation Department. Since joining the firm, Arthur Cox afforded me the opportunity to take Carer’s Leave to allow me to care for my mother, who was terminally ill. Whilst on leave, my colleagues were constantly in touch to see how things were and offered practical help as well as kind wishes. I was also able to return to my position and everyone was very welcoming and supportive which made my transition back to work a lot easier.
There is a great social aspect to working in Arthur Cox. We have a Social Committee who organise various events throughout the year, including summer barbeques and the Christmas Party. There are also other events such as wine-tasting, pub quizzes, casino nights, Department team building days out. They are always well attended and great fun.
As with all Departments within the firm, we work very much on a team basis. As Arthur Cox has one of the largest Litigation Groups in Ireland, the Department is extremely busy, however every member of the our team is very approachable and help each other out whenever we can. I thoroughly enjoy working in Arthur Cox and I have gained a lot of experience and a lot of variety, having had the opportunity to work within different Litigation Practice Groups.